Thursday, October 10, 2013

Fifteen, Maybe Sixteen Things To Worry About (Judith Viorst)

Fifteen, Maybe Sixteen Things To Worry About by Judith Viorst.

Hee! At first, this poem struck me as boring and bit annoying. The "worries" seemed stupid and gratuitous. The parentheticals annoyed me. The language wasn't special and I couldn't really relate since the poem seemed written decades ago. But then with the turn in the last stanza, everything cleared and this formally groan-inducing poem seemed bright and cutely clever.

So no, I don't love it, but the ending surprised me and made me laugh. So it's pretty alright with me.

Favorite line: "I maybe could run out of things for me to worry about."
I maybe could run out of things for me to worry about. - See more at: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15725#sthash.ir76FHCd.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?