Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year's Day (Kobayashi Issa)

HAPPY NEW YEAR! I keep saying it to people I meet, even though it is a little past the new year, so I figure I might as well continue to say it to you. I found this poem while looking for a topical entry. Apparently, the poet is a prolific haiku writer, though I haven't heard of him before.

I finished the poem and I laughed. And that is pretty great to be humorous in so few words. Can't say that my New Year's this year felt this way to me, but plenty in the past have been so.

You just feel out of sync with the awesomeness of what is happening. Perhaps, you are not so awesome as everything else is? It's a funny poem, but it's tinged with that sadness.

Favorite line: "I feel about average."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?