Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Dreams (Langston Hughes)

Oh man, who doesn't know this poem? I had to memorize it back in the day. For some reason I think it may have been the first poem we ever truly covered in school - had a discussion about. Langston Hughes has written far better poems, but still, this one has a special place for me.

It's seems like a poem written in an English class. "Take a common word and write a poem in which you creatively define it. At least two metaphors required." Guess that makes L. Hughes a slacker since he did the bare minimum.

Dunno, guess I liked it a lot more when I first encountered it. Wonder if that's the case for other people. That it doesn't have much repeat value.

Favorite line: "Life is a barren field"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?