Sunday, February 28, 2010

Driving and Drinking [North to Parowan Gap] (David Lee)

I don't know who David Lee is, but I found this poem of his through a series of uninteresting twists.

It's almost cheesy with its "Indins" and "Misippi". In fact, I wish he had found a way to express drunkenness without turning to those types of cop-outs. Not cop-outs exactly, it's just they are too easy. Where is the subtlety? I much prefer this tell: "you just turn there and that dirt road/goes out to the Gap/where them Indins wrote on them rocks/I remember the first time/I ever got drunk." The non-linear thinking, the childishness of his statement is just perfect in how it lets you know how much drinking and driving N has been doing.

Favorite line: "Me and my brother/we was following this branch back home in Misippi/when we seen a trail leading off/and he knew but I didn't"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?