Sunday, March 7, 2010

When You are Old (W. B. Yeats)

It's been a week. A generally horrible week in which I discovered that when things go crappily I have no heart for poetry. I know that there must be downer poems, ones that would have fit my mood, but the poems I love and respond to are full of light and love. And since today starts a new (hopefully much better) week, I now turn to this poem which is full of quiet contentment.

W. B. Yeats is one of those must-read poets. I associate him with boarding schools as in the movie 'Dead Poets Society'. I honestly don't know his poetry very well though, so I can't tell if this poem is typical of his style or no. I like it though.

A life-long relationship. A loving partnership. Peace. This poem reads so quietly. There is no boasting, no dramatic declarations. It smacks of honesty. And that makes the sentiment that much more intense.

Favorite line: "But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?