Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My Shoes (Charles Simic)

'You never truly know someone until you've walked a mile in his shoes.' That well trod (pardon the pun) idiom must have been an inspiration for this poem by Charles Simic. "Shoes, secret face of my inner life"

I'm not a shoe lover, so honestly, I don't really see shoes, pieces of your wardrobe, as windows to your psyche. Maybe in the same way that your shirt or your socks are entries to Who You Are, I can see shoes as representing some part of a person.

However, I get that C. Sim thinks so: "With your mute patience, forming/The only true likeness of myself." Windows, mirrors. Shoes are the key.

Apparently.

Favorite line: "Ascetic and maternal, you endure:/Kin to oxen, to Saints, to condemned men"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?