Sunday, August 4, 2013

Dear Friends (Edwin Arlington Robinson)

Dear Friends by Edwin Arlington Robinson.

Ah ha! When I read, I noted the rhymes and saw that they had a certain pattern. I looked it up and this poem is a Petrarchan sonnet! Very impressive. I had selected today's poem, not for its form, but because I liked what it said.

I can just picture his friends bemoaning his writing career. It's very sweet - their care - and very misdirected which is why I like his response to them in this poem - it's still sweet and kind, but also firm as he says 'lay off!'. Hehe. I loved the concluding two lines. Made me crack a smile.

Favorite line: "Dear friends, reproach me not for what I do"
Dear friends, reproach me not for what I do,

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?