Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The Students (Mark Halliday)

The Students by Mark Halliday

This poem, I think, mirrors college life. Perhaps it's about nothing. Just cafeteria happenings and unvarnished nouns attempting to be something profound. But then again, maybe it is profound. Maybe it shows how learning is often accomplished - how you suddenly get what someone said or did years before without knowing how or when you understood it. How when you read a poem, you get a sense of it without knowing exactly what path you took through the thing.

Eh, this, I think, is not what I want to say about this poem, but my mind is not latching on (whoo, tiredness), so I think I will come back to this one again tomorrow.

Favorite line: "The students eat something and then watch the news, / a little, then go to sleep."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?