Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Editing Job (Carl Dennis)

In "Editing Job" (not Editing Job - a different task - sorry I couldn't use italics in the title of this post - but a cute double entendre either way) by Carl Dennis, N is running through the chapter of Job in the Bible and taking out some bits while preserving others.

I was so bored while reading this poem. The language contains no spark and the subject, while interesting, is wholly subjective (after all, maybe I think the prologue, which N recommends removing, is essential). I could hardly hear what the poet was saying since I kept wanting to give a counter argument to his objections. And N's final point - that God too makes mistakes - is hardly novel. Most modern (and not so modern) uses of God in lit. give Him human characteristics/foibles.

Favorite line: "For assuming the definition of justice/ That holds on earth holds as well above?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?