Thursday, February 14, 2013

Sometimes with One I Love (Walt Whitman)

Happy Valentine's Day!!

In the spirit of that (and acknowledging I have loads of other things to do), a short poem by a prolific writer which I will "talk" about with a single quote --> And since it is the day of love, I'll even make it easy and copy the whole (prose-y) poem here: 


Sometimes with one I love I fill myself with rage for fear I effuse unreturn'd love,
But now I think there is no unreturn'd love, the pay is certain one way or another,
(I loved a certain person ardently and my love was not return'd, yet out of that I have written these songs.)


I think this poem hits on the same truth as the following quote - which is to say, that love is grand, always worth having and never for naught.

Quote: "Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart." - Washington Irving

Favorite line: "Sometime with one I love I fill myself with rage"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?