Saturday, February 16, 2013

My Love Sent Me a List (Olena Kalytiak Davis)

The title of this poem is great. It automatically starts my imagination going (what list? why sent? why aren't you together?......). The poem itself, by Olena Kalytiak Davis, is a sonnet and with the mention of a Moor (coupled with the fact that it is a sonnet) brings to mind Shakespeare. But with Davis' fun use of parentheticals and other grammatical tricks makes this a modern-sounding poem.

I don't quite understand this line: "And left, none-the-less, the Greater Moor of me." Anyone, any leads? A Moor is someone from Northern Africa, right? Othello was a Moor. But does Moor come with certain characteristics?

But even not getting the full meaning behind the last line, I really like the penultimate line: "And yet these mores undid but his own plea(s)(e)". In sending the note with all her faults to N, he is protesting a bit too much. (Another Shakespearean influence! - Hamlet's "The lady doth protest too much, methinks") I also really love the use of the two parentheses. Layered meaning - fun and clever.

This poem is almost too clever for its own good. I like it.

Favorite line: "O my Love sent me a lusty list"

1 comment:

What do you think of today's poem?