Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Do not go gentle into that good night (Dylan Thomas)

Do not go gentle into that good night (do check out the audio recording on the page too. It's wonderful!) by Dylan Thomas was probably the first poem I ever remember analyzing. Well, kind of.

My mom and I were at home and I was reading her the poem - we had read it in school maybe or perhaps it was in a book I took from the self. I was in 6th or 7th grade and was reciting it because it sounded neat - with all the repetition (hey, hey villanelle!).

I had finished the poem and then my mom asked "what do you think it means?". No one had asked me so bluntly - in school whenever we did a unit on poetry it was to identify the similes or count the number of metaphors or something like that.

I faltered and then haltingly, sputtered "Um, (big uncertain pause) .......death?"

And ding, ding, ding, correct! And fathers/sons and old age and missed chances and regrets and funerals and grief and love.

Do you remember when you first (or early on) took a stab at poetry analysis? What poem got you going?

Favorite line: "Because their words had forked no lightning they / Do not go gentle into that good night."

2 comments:

  1. This was my first poem I actually analyzed as well. This or maybe Nothing Gold Can Stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Thanks for commenting and I think it's great that we share a poetry-thing in common.

      Delete

What do you think of today's poem?