Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Fragment 8: Thicker than rain-drops on November thorn (Samuel Taylor Coleridge)

Why this "poem's" title is actually longer than the thing itself! While the Poetry Foundation classed it as a poem, I wonder if the poet did himself.

Can there be a one-line poem? This one line has interesting language, is descriptive, sets a mood and causes me to wonder what is being referred to (thicker than what?). I suppose that all could be said to be enough. I do, however, think it needs more of a framework to be considered a true poem. While, as in William Carlos Williams' earlier poem, some work should be required of the reader, this poem takes that to an extreme. Too much so, I think.

What do you think?

Favorite (bit of the) line: "November thorn"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?