Sunday, September 14, 2014

Reflective (A. R. Ammons)

Today's poem by A. R. Ammons is very clever, cute and short.

I like the word 'mirror' and the title 'reflective' and how they are physically reinforced by the language used and the way the lines/stanzas are cut.

I like the idea contained that everything is a reflection of something else and most clearly, is a reflection of you. I adore how the poem begins with the line "I found" and then describes how nothing was truly discovered. That what was "found" had been part of the author all along.

Of course, I, in reading this poem, am only discovering shades of myself. My "talk" about this poem is, of course, made up of my own interpretations and inclinations and in the end I am simply reinforcing my own ideas.

Ah, but so it goes. (comment!, plz - more voices = more viewpoints, less mirroring)

Favorite line: "and that / mirror / looked in at / a mirror"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?