Thursday, November 12, 2009

Eating Poetry (Mark Strand)

I might know the poet, but not very well. He's modern and people always site him as beloved, but I don't know much (anything) more. I chose this poem to read first from his selected list because it sounded like an ars poetica and that's always good for a first look.

However, as I read it seemed like a it were written by a high schooler. I think I wrote a similar poem when I was in a hs creative writing class. But then it moves from the meaningless dribble ("I have been eating poetry") and goes to careful observations of the surroundings ("The librarian does not believe what she sees./Her eyes are sad/ and she walks with her hands in her dress."). That, I believe, is what elevates this from a clever hs poem to something worth something.

Oops, and I can't talk more about this poem. More later.

Favorite line: "She does not understand./When I get on my knees and lick her hand"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?