Thursday, November 5, 2009

A Valediction: Forbidding Morning (John Donne)

Here is a super famous poem by John Donne. I remember seeing this poem as a question on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? It was the most surreal thing. The question was: In the poem...to what object was a lover compared to? Or something like that. It was worth a lot of money, but the person got it wrong and acted like the question was ridiculous and "who would know this obscure piece of knowledge"?

Tonight, I recited this poem aloud, like I do with every poem I have talked about on here. However, unlike every other time I have read this poem I began to tear up. I'm a sap, and I am newly engaged and it just got to me. Even though this poem compares love to a mathematical tool, it totally works and plants the airy romance to the real and touchable world. Love. Love. Love.

Favorite line: "Our two souls therefore, which are one,/Though I must go, endure not yet/A breach, but an expansion./Like gold to airy thinness beat."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?