Monday, November 23, 2009

On the Disadvantages of Central Heating (Amy Clampitt)

Aw. Nostalgia. It's strong in this poem by Amy C. It is, in part, what drives me home for Thanksgiving and my fiance home to his. Homes, once left, are forever in your heart. The memories become richer, the colors deeper, and even 'the disadvantages of central heating' ring clearer and become fuzzy with warmth and good feelings.

This poem is five snapshots, really. Blocks of text, listing memory-rich places and things. Maybe the poet wrote this poem in a a burst of homesickness.

I always forget that description alone can be a good poem. Thanks Amy C. for reminding me that you don't need "I" to make a poem personal, close, or specific.

Favorite line: "small boys and big eager sheepdogs/muscling in on bookish profundities"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?