Tuesday, November 24, 2009

miss rosie (Lucille Clifton)

Oh my! I read this poem and got chills. I am extremely low on sleep, so emotions are therefore faster to breach, but ya know. It's a rich poem. It's also one I have vague memories of hearing before, though I do not recognize the poet's name.

I do love this descriptive phrase: "you wet brown bag of a woman". I mean, my gosh, what a fantastic way to describe a stranger. Just, love!

Ah right, all the other words: "through your destruction/I stand up" And what does that mean? Perhaps, nothing, just a pat on the back. Perhaps, it harkens back to the former relations N and the 'woman' had. It's a great ending because it add backbone to the whole poem. It's moving. It's adds definition to N even though this poem, from the title on, is about Miss Rosie.

Favorite line: "you wet brown bag of a woman"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?