Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Adam's Task (John Hollander)

I find this poem by John Hollander to be adorable. I can just imagine Adam, gleeful with his first real job, sitting on a high promontory pointing at passing animals and crying out, "Thou, paw-paw-paw; thou, glurd; thou, spotted/ Glurd; thou, whitestap".

The names he picks are simple, fun, and childlike. They also (way to go John Hollander) conjure up an image of what animal is being described. A "paw-paw-paw" just has to be some kind of large cat. A "glurd" would be a good name for a water ox.

It's Adam's first task and therefore he finds great joy in it. To be trusted with a task of that importance must have been quite swelling. This poem is a portrait of the first 23 animals and names. One sort of hopes that he maintained his glee for the next million-plus animals and that he never reached the point where he and the task would sink "to primitive" even though we know it must and that he did.

The last line sounds so childlike. The next line might as well be "I'm bored. Can I go now?" I suppose that is the indication that his task is not so new and shiny anymore. That he has lost his glee for his task. Ha! Maybe, Adam (the child) gave up the task for being too big and made God (the adult) name them instead. So we have names not like "glurd" and "grawl", but dull, sensible ones like house fly and blue jay.

Favorite line: "Thou, paw-paw-paw; thou, glurd; thou, spotted/ glurd"

3 comments:

  1. hey ~ i just passed by ur blog
    and i just wanted to tell you that ur entry helped me with my english assigment; regarding understanding to the names of the animals

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Thanks for taking the time to write a comment and tell me. I hope you wrote a good essay. What I wrote was only my opinion, so it's not necessarily correct. Hope you added your own spin to the essay since I bet your ideas are just as good as mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice i like this.. to whom it may concern good job keep it up. call me and help me with my assesments at +18762835518 or at deanacampbell@rocketmail.com

    ReplyDelete

What do you think of today's poem?