Friday, August 21, 2009

Bloody Men (Wendy Cope)

I woke up at 5 this morning and despite all logic am still not yet in bed. I need to talk shortly about an easily grasped poem so I can move on to bed. I thought that this poem would fit the bill. It took me many many minutes to track it down on the web. I don't know why Poets.org doesn't list Wendy Cope. She's a hoot.

Okay, brief run-down. It's funny. It's so like British humor you almost don't need verification of her country of origin.

I wish I could be so witty and still manage to rhyme. That's true great skill.

And gosh, I don't know, there really isn't more to say. After all, when you have to explain a joke it loses all its charm. This poem is funny. The end. I almost think that it is harder to write humor that is this appealing than it is to write a deep piece that scholars love.

Favorite line: "you'll stand there and gaze/ While the cars and the taxis and lorries go by/ And the minutes, the hours, the days."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?