Saturday, August 22, 2009

Man and Camel (Mark Strand)

Browsing poems for this evening's post I came across Man and Camel by Mark Strand.

I read it as I do all poems, slowly. Usually, when I come to the end of a poem I tend to turn and read it over once again. When I reached the end of this one I burst out laughing. I am pretty certain this poem is telling me that to search for deeper meaning is pointless and ruinous of a poem's art.

So, uh, sorry, Mr. Strand, but I have to talk about this poem, and to talk is to analyze. I'd be just like the man on the front porch trying to figure out the symbolism of the man and camel passing by. In fact, I was trying to do so as I read. I suppose I won't try any longer, since perhaps, Mark Strand picked two unusual figures for no other purpose but to make a point. I think he would laugh at me if I tried to decipher why a camel? And why were they singing?

But, Mr. Strand, point taken. Sometimes, a camel is just a camel. However, I think, by evidence of this blog, that all poems can be analyzed. To try to understand something is just so darn human I think we just can't not do it.

Favorite line: "Yet what they sang is still a mystery to me—/the words were indistinct and the tune/too ornamental to recall."

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure I believe a man and a came do sing together, but, yeah, the statement is that the examined life destroys the life. It is Godel and Schrodinger. A poem destroys the subject of the poem. Not sure I believe that either. We live in a participatory universe.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think of today's poem?