Friday, December 4, 2009

Because I could not stop for death (Emily Dickinson)

Because I could not stop for death by Emily Dickinson.

I like how calmly N says "he kindly stopped for me." Death practically provides a favor for N. Death is definitely written as gentlemanly. "his civility"

Death takes N through life. Childhood, adulthood, old age.

What I think is neat is how the last stanza is different than the rest. The whole poem through tends to use concrete nouns and images. 'school' 'grazing grain' 'carriage' However, in the last stanza, she switches to using words that don't mean much in actuality, but rather, they create a rounded image. You get what is being said, though it is not so direct as, say, in stanza three.

Favorite line: "Because I could not stop for Death,/He kindly stopped for me"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?