Monday, December 14, 2009

The Savoir must have been a docile Gentleman (Emily Dickinson)

I put up my tree tonight (all 1 1/2 feet of it), so I figured that tonight must be a Christmas poem. Who knew that Emily Dickinson wrote seasonal poems? Maybe everyone. I don't know. She's just not my style, so this, lesser known one from her, is a new one to me.

It's short (which I love). It's only eight lines long. It talks about Jesus being born and being "docile" to be born down a rugged lane when it's so cold and so far. But for his birth, the way would have always been so rugged, cold, and lengthy.

I wonder why he is described as being docile. Maybe because why on earth would anyone choose to be born there (down a path a billion rugged miles long)? But no child chooses where to be born. All babies can be (and should be) described as docile. Perhaps, Emily Dickinson reflects the general consensus on his later life. After all, 'gentleman' doesn't refer to a child, but to an adult.

Favorite line: "To come so far so cold a Day"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?