Saturday, December 5, 2009

I'm Nobody. Who are you. (Emily Dickinson)

I adore this poem by Emily Dickinson. It's such a witticism. I bet she wrote it in one go when she was feeling light. A happy poem from Emily? It be true.

The rhyme makes it light. As do the generic names for the two types of people in the world. For that matter, so does the exclamation point.

However, the lightness is belied by what must be a rather lonesome life-where for the first time, N has met a friend. The lightness takes on the ring of someone trying to rationalize the way their life is and that it is better, really, just find and dandy. Uh huh. *Nods*

Though, I am not sure I believe N. Too much pep in those words.

Favorite line: "I'm Nobody! Who are you?/Are you – Nobody – too?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?