Monday, December 21, 2009

A Visit from Saint Nicholas (Clement Clark Moore)

It's not quite Christmas, but only four days to go! Plus, I'm headed out of town and won't be able to update again until next Tuesday or Wednesday, so I figured I would put up the quintessential Xmas poem: A Visit from St. Nick! It's the poem that's important, I haven't a clue who the poet is - and poets.org doesn't give any hints.

This poem is everywhere at Christmas. I first learned it from a giant coloring book I had growing up. It was so big, I kept it underneath our large media-center. Every Christmas I would pull it out and color in a new page. A wonderful way to slowly learn, incorporate a poem into a life.

It's so well incorporated I cannot really disentangle it from my personal history with it. I can't think of it in terms of quality or dimensions or poetry. It simply is and it is tied up tight with the season for me.

So (to paraphrase), to all a good Christmas and good winter break. I'll see you at the close of the decade.

Favorite line: "His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?