Thursday, April 25, 2013

A Greek Island (Edward Hirsch)

Yesterday, I got some comments for favorite poems on my facebook (which was awesome!), so I'll be 'talking' about those coming up, but today's is a erotic poem by Edward Hirsch.

It's short and confusing with its talk of Greek islands and olives and marl, but as you read you begin to feel a little flushed and you realize that the island, olives and marl stand for a lover's body and their sex.

I like how he describes her body and their intimacy. Having so many metaphors like that is kind of cool.

Favorite line: "Traveling over your body I found / The falling olive and the cajoling flute"
Traveling over your body I found

The failing olive and the cajoling flute, - See more at: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/23510#sthash.Ek2dONL2.dpufTra
Traveling over your body I found

The failing olive and the cajoling flute, - See more at: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/23510#sthash.Ek2dONL2.dpufT

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?