Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Lake Havasu (Dorianne Laux)

Today's post is for Lake Havasu by Dorianne Laux.


The lake is in Arizona on the border with California. It is apparently a pretty common "beach" scene for partiers. I mean, even in Google Image searching the name of the lake, the 3rd image is of girls in bikinis with beers in hand!

I think that sense of party hang-out is in the poem, but also with a sense of looking back and of just describing the scene. It could have been a plain nature poem, but it's not just. N is also in there and so is a certain time/place and, I think, a sense of having lost the innocence of youth.

Favorite line: "I stood waist deep / in that damned blue, and I was beautiful, a life saver / resting on my young hips"
I stood waist deep
in that dammed blue, and I was beautiful, a life saver
resting on my young hips, - See more at: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/23464#sthash.zJDZZdHR.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?