Friday, April 19, 2013

Northwest Passage (James Pollock)

After Cavafy reads the line below the title of today's poem by James Pollock. I had to look that up, but it's the name of a Greek poet who lived in the late 1800s/early 1900s. He wrote a poem that seems similar to today's, but honestly, also seems better.

I mean, today's is fine. Well written - all those couplets. I learned a little history lesson as I read. However, I found the words and story told to be boring. I think part of my finding it boring has to do with the use of second person. I don't find myself relating. It's too much distance.


And then the ending 'lesson' is wrapped too tightly, for me. It's too neat. And in browsing that similar poem by Cavafy, "Ithaca", it too wraps up neatly at the end. So I guess he's just following Cavafy's form, but I am meh about it.

Favorite line: "When you set out to find your Northwest Passage"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?