Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Nothing Gold Can Stay (Robert Frost)

Today's is my husband's favorite poem (by Robert Frost) - Nothing Gold Can Stay.

He (like me) first read it in S. E. Hinton's The Outsiders. He says that he loves the poem because of that connection. It's just so interwoven with that book - which was such an excellent read.

It was the first poem for him that he really liked, that made him think. It's definitely philosophical. I like the rhymed couplets - the simpleness of the poem belies its tragic subject - that nothing can remain good or perfect for long. 

It also made me think. I would like to read others' favorite poems. I would like to explore those poems that have meant something to you. Leave a comment with one of your favs. I'd love to read and 'talk' about it.

Favorite line: "So Eden sank to grief"

2 comments:

  1. Love the Outsiders and this poem! Whoever gave it an "It's okay" needs to change their vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, at least there isn't a single 'Nope!'.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think of today's poem?