Saturday, September 28, 2013

Sonnet - To Science (Edgar Allan Poe)

To Science!! First, I LOVE the idea of this poem by Edgar Allan Poe. It makes me laugh to imagine addressing the whole subject - the entirety of all - in 14 lines. And what questions! They are almost whiny. As if science is the unraveling of all of fiction and poetry. And I guess that is a classic argument. One I find incredibly stupid. Ha (not to mince words!). I mean, science is all about trying to answer questions. And so is literature. They are just two ways of seeking order out of the chaos of everything that happens and is seen.

Sorry, Poe, I just don't buy your argument.

Favorite line: "Why preyest thou thus upon the poet's heart"
Why preyest thou thus upon the poet’s heart

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?