Friday, September 11, 2009

The Dance (William Carlos Williams)

On a bit of a WCW kick. Today's poem is The Dance.

It's a technically neat poem. I don't see a meter (but I tend to be bad at that kind of thing), but it does have a dance-like rhythm. It also has, of course, the same line for the opening and the close of this twelve liner. Neat-o.

And maybe since I have never seen the painting, The Kermess, in real life, I have no real connection to this poem. I can like it for its technical merit, but I stop soon after that. I get no deep meaning, nothing applicable to all. Ah well. It's better to admire something for what it sets out to do than to look for what it doesn't strive to contain.

Favorite line: "the squeal and the blare and the/tweedle of bagpipes, a bugle and fiddles/tipping their bellies"

1 comment:

  1. Williams is one of my favorites. Anti-Eliot. Patterson is the one epic poem of the 20th century, and it's about the founding of Patterson, NJ.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think of today's poem?