Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fame is a bee (Emily Dickinson)

As much as I have read and loved poetry I have never really gotten into Emily Dickinson. I need a class full of people exclaiming over her. I mean, I think she's fine, but I don't get her genius. This poem, however, is fine, true, but it's also short and to the point and thus biting and acidic.

I like poems that fill a void in English and clearly give definition to a word, a feeling, or an experience. This poem manages to do all three, I think. This poem also mimics fame (the fame it gave to Dickinson?) in that it also has "song" and it's barbed and sharp and therefore has "sting," and since it is so tiny it, too, has "wing."

Favorite line: "Ah, too, it has wing."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?