Monday, September 28, 2009

The Something (Charles Simic)

I like Charles Simic. I do. I like the simplicity with which he writes. I like the 'woah, that's a big point' you get at the end of one of his poems which, of course, is written with such simple diction.

I like that he titled this poem The Something. It's emblematic of what I meant earlier. It's so simple. Perhaps, knowingly too simple. It seems false. It must be hiding something. You know to look for a deeper point. It's in there, you only have to find it.

Or is it? Haha, Mr. Simic. I see your game now. You, like that poem before, are challenging me by chiding me for seeing patterns and meaning where none are meant. Well, bosh. Humans hate chaos. We hate disarray. Looking at the universe and finding it "immense and incomprehensible" is it any wonder that we turn to poetry, "this fine old prop", and try to pull the edges together in order to form, well, "something"?

Favorite line: "What they thought about/Stayed the same,/Stayed immense and incomprehensible."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?