Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Moon Sails Out (Federico Garcia Lorca)

I've never read this poem by Federico Garcia Lorca in its original Spanish. I cannot find the original, but I love this translation. Looking for the poem online I ran across a number of different translations and it's so interesting to see how the same source material can end up sounding so different. It takes not only a fluidity with both languages, I think, but also an ear and a talent for poetry to be able to create quality translations.

I love this poem for creating truths that I would not have considered otherwise. It's true, no one does eat oranges at night. They are definitely daytime fruits. They're little suns.

Also, I think this line is extremely apt: "When the moon sails out/...the heart feels it is/a little island in the infinite." Nighttime is solitary. The world is so enormous with its unknown and unseen dimensions. It is fitting that one turns inward when confronted with that infinity. One might even...write this poem, say.

Favorite line: "No one eats oranges/under the full moon."

2 comments:

  1. I probably have this somewhere, because he's one of my favorites. "Green, green, how much I want you green": another of his poems. "Verde, verde, cuanto quiero verde." I think. I had it memorized in both languages at one point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that one. Can you send me a copy?

    ReplyDelete

What do you think of today's poem?