Wednesday, July 31, 2013

High Diver (Kurt Brown)

Back from vacation and back to poetry! Today's is a poem by Kurt Brown.


When I started the poem I liked its clarity and how it reminded me of 'Elegy for Jane' - another sympathetic portrait of a young girl. But as I read on, I got bored with how melodramatic it was and how seriously it takes itself. I feel as though I was supposed to see the beauty in the poem, in the diver, in acts of youth - the mocking and discovery of love, but all I kept wondering was who is the speaker in the poem? A coach? Another teen? A creepy man? This poem did not resonate with me because I wasn't enthralled with the subject nor did I sympathize with the speaker (because I don't know their intentions).

Favorite line: "Straight-backed, clean-limbed, freckled like a trout"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?