Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Author to Her Book (Anne Bradstreet)

I like the idea behind this poem by Anne Bradstreet a lot. The talking to your offspring/your newly created book which has been sent off for publication.


I love the idea of your book being akin to your child; the idea that you'll have to explain to your book its deficiencies and why you let it go out.

There is a lot of humor in this poem. The language is stilted since it was written so many centuries ago. The rhyming couplets are rather great - the rhymes are almost all true rhymes (not slant) and yet they are natural-sounding and don't make the thing sing-song-y. Neat poem.

Favorite line: "I washed thy face, but more defects I saw"
I washed thy face, but more defects I saw,

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?