Wednesday, July 17, 2013

You Begin (Margaret Atwood)

OMG, I love this poem by Margaret Atwood. I'm sleepy and was browsing around for a limerick or something short/sweet when I found it.

It's not short, but it is written with simple/storybook words. It is calm; it is sweet. It is aw-inducing (in a wonderful, non-saccharine way).

I like the way it reads like a kid's book. This is ... this is.... -- all that repetition. Somehow it reminded me of Goodnight Moon. The book starts like that, but then the mother's adult voice takes over (her worries) and at the end you get the mother's gift of language (hand) - protective and caring.

Loved reading this.

Favorite line: "This is the world; which is fuller / and more difficult to learn than I have said."
This is the world, which is fuller and more difficult to learn than I have said. - See more at: https://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/16789#sthash.KnRd1Wbe.dpuf


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?