Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Humoresque (Edna St. Vincent Millay)

Humoresque by Edna St. Vincent Millay is a great title. It already starts me smiling - a made up perfect word.

The poem itself is great in that it rhymes, is short and is both serious (devastating) and funny. So talented!!

And yeah, I am so so tired right now, so even though this poem has a dark dark edge, I won't get into that. Just read it and grieve for the Narrator of the poem. Admire her also for her humor in the face of such tragedy.

Favorite line: "(Love, by whom I was beguiled, / Grant I may not bear a child.)"
(Love, by whom I was beguiled, Grant I may not bear a child.) - See more at: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/23303#sthash.wKWiKquR.dpuf

1 comment:

  1. wtf you didn't even make an analysis of the poem!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think of today's poem?