Wednesday, July 3, 2013

That Great Diaspora (Rachel Zucker)

That Great Diaspora by Rachel Zucker.

It's short, it's sweet - it's got some really great, memorable lines. I dislike that the first two lines rhyme, but that there is no more rhyme in the poem (unless I missed it) - cuz it sets up an expectation that's not upheld.

Also don't like that in such a short poem with such everyday language that smack in the middle is the clunker "dybbuk". Am I alone in having no idea what that means or references? Totally took me out of the poem. Seemed an odd choice. 

Oh, ok, just Googled it and it's a Yiddish term, so maybe it is familiar if you know about Jewish culture. Dunno, but it struck me as odd and took me out of the poem, but since the title talks about diaspora I can see why having an ethnic word at the heart of the poem is important.

Favorite line: "into the briny dream of elsewheres"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?