Saturday, March 23, 2013

Cahoots (Carl Sandburg)

Hehe, I am so amused by this poem by Carl Sandburg.

It doesn't quite seem like a poem - more like a piece of prose, an impression really. I get a sense of a 1920s bootlegging scene - dunno if that was is his mind as he wrote, but something amoral, make-a-deal is going on.

And then that last bit about mittens! Cracks me up every time I read it. I suddenly imagine these criminal types high as the moon or drunk as crazy and coming up with this great idea of mitten wearing.

This poem wouldn't be worth anything to me without that slide of a last bit. It caught me off guard and made this poem memorable. I'm still giggling about it.



Favorite line: "There oughta be a law everybody wear mittens."
There oughta be a law everybody wear mittens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?