Thursday, March 21, 2013

Elegy with a City in It (Reginald Dwayne Betts)

It's driving me nuts. What is this poem? So many repeated end-stop words. Why?? What form is Reginald Betts using? Is it even a form or did he create one?

If someone can tell me what form (if it is an actual form) this is, I would appreciate it.

The poem itself is rather neat - I would love to hear it read aloud. The repeated words form a beat that drive the poem.

I like the two stanzas whose end-cap words are colors - red/black. Those two seem stronger to me.

I love the words he has chosen, "red", "black", "awe/awful", and "still". They are fantastic words to talk about urban violence and destruction (which is what I got from my reading). And the fact that he uses them with such density makes me think of dense urban spaces and their cadence reminds me of music with a heavy beat like rap. Even the long stanzas bring to mind tall, skinny, city skyscrapers. 


Favorite line: "Death almost invented when red / was the curse of men born black / and lost in a drama Reagan read / as war: crack vials and cash and red / in our eyes"

1 comment:

What do you think of today's poem?