Thursday, March 14, 2013

Put Me Down (Paul Muldoon)

It's late and I was going to talk about a short little poem I saw on poets.org, but then I check the poem-of-the-day and I just melted because goddamn, but Paul Muldoon is a talented poet. I mean, geez. This poem of his is so simple and yet so complicated. It's kind of a wonder.

I don't know if it is in an official form, but it's definitely going with its own imposed rules. ABABCDCDDD - it's very song-like. The part that goes DDD is like the chorus.

The poem is a love poem expressed in objects of war. Clever, but not the most heart-felt (for me), but the cleverness of the form sure shines it up.


Favorite line: "I want to be the rifle butt / You hold close to your breast"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?