Sunday, March 31, 2013

Mowing (Robert Frost)

Happy Easter! And I'm sure there must be Easter poems out there, but I couldn't find any that were literary (at least with my brief search). But then my eye caught on this poem by Robert Frost because my husband mowed the lawn for the first time this year today. Mowing the lawn, like Easter, is kind of a marker for the season.

In this sonnet, there is a lot of rhyming, but it's not standard so I couldn't identify a scheme. Maybe just a ton of slant rhyme?


Besides the fact that this poem made me think what mowing the lawn would be like without a lawn mower (hard!), I like through sweat/hard work he uncovers the honest truth of nature. It's all so related in this nutshell of a poem.

Favorite line: "There was never a sound beside the wood but one"
There was never a sound beside the wood but one,


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?