Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Days of Future Dwell (Samuel Amadon)

Poets.org classified this poem by Samuel Amadon as poem about the future. I guess I can see that, but when I first read it, I thought it was more about the art of creation.

It starts with a dancer (creator of art) and moves through creating something - the feelings ("be happy again") and the act ("why I pick the tact / from the floor, why I / finger it like a shell."). It ends with the knowing fact that art (like life) keeps on.

Maybe it's the future of creativity? Your creative spark is not lost (you may have hit a patch of writers' block), but it is a constant presence. If it seems lost, it's not. It is only trailing a little bit behind ("you / can hear it all coming").

Favorite line: "As grass is covered / with grass that's mown"
As grass is covered
with grass that’s mown,a
why I pick the tack
from the floor, why I
finger it like a shell. - See more at: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/23409#sthash.iZDKZ38C.dpuf
why I pick the tack
from the floor, why I
finger it like a shell. - See more at: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/23409#sthash.iZDKZ38C.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?