Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Short History of the Apple (Dorianne Laux)

I don't know why this poem by Dorianne Laux works, but it does. It almost seems like a school assignment or a poetry 101 task. Pick a common object and write a poem about it.


I like the beginning lines - the description of taking that first bite. This poem also contains my favorite fact - apples originate in Kazakhstan - so that makes me like the poem right from the start.

And honestly, all of the allusions and facts about apples gets a little monotonous and while I'm impressed with all the apple factoids she rounds up, I find myself getting bored with the poem. But then that ending! I refind myself in the poem from those last two lines:

Favorite line: "O eat. O eat."
Kazakhstan
Kazakhstan

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?