Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Pittsburgh (James Allen Hall)

My husband was born in Pittsburgh, but I've never been there. However, this poem by James Allen Hall provides a(n unflattering) picture of the city.


I don't think after reading today's poem, anyone would make a beeline for the place. It's kind of neat - all the place names - I bet it's easily identifiable as Pittsburgh if you had any familiarity. I like the feel you get from the lines, the dirty unpleasantness of it.

I wonder if there is a poetic term for poems about places. Something akin to ekphacsis for poems about art. I can think of a few others off the top of my head, so it's definitely a theme.

Sorry to my husband and the city to say that this one paints a grim portrait.

Favorite line: "a sleepless summer I will watch / diminish down to the savaged seed of morning."
a sleepless shimmer I will watch
diminish down to the savaged seed of morning, - See more at: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/23596#sthash.PUIPRYnF.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?