Saturday, June 1, 2013

Knows how to forget (433) (Emily Dickinson)

This poem, by Emily Dickinson, was listed as a graduation poem on poets.org. I was looking for a grad poem, since today I went to the UC Davis School of Medicine graduation. (Congrats, guys!).


I don't think this is the best sentiment for a graduation poem. It seems to say that forgetting is best and that you don't seem to learn that in school. In fact, the one thing to learn is to forget, but she's not sure how that can be done. Not in school, or from astronomers or philosophers or even from books. Perhaps, God or a Godly person might know, but even there she is uncertain, ending the poem with a question to the rabbi: "Don't you know?"

Not my favorite poem, but I don't really like many of her poems, so this may be my own short-sightedness.

Favorite line: "Sacrificed for Science"
Sacrificed for Science

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?