Friday, June 21, 2013

Squaw Valley Writers (Poetry Benefit Reading)

Guess what I did tonight? I went to the best poetry reading! Because it is late, I will just talk a little about the reading and not go into any particular poem.

The reading was hosted by Squaw Valley Writers. They are having a week-long retreat starting tomorrow in Squaw Valley, so the poets at the reading were all going to be going to that. Luckies!

There were 5 poets (3 of them Pulitzer Prize winners/finalists - wowowow) - Forrest Gander (Ivy leaguer and acts like it, also a fantastic reader), Robert Hass (very personable, looked the way I imagine Robert Frost to look), Brenda Hillman (high-pitched voice, seemed very nice, but was my least favorite), Sharon Olds (!) (the headliner and she knew it - didn't spend much time at the mic though) and Evie Shockley (the youngest and whose poetry was most 'current').

It was such an awesome night. I sat in the front row (unfortunately to the far side) and it was cool to be at an event of poets in an audience of poets/poetry enthusiasts.

Afterwards, I bought two books (new poetry books are so expensive!) and got them signed!! Can't wait to read my autographed books by Forrest Gander and Evie Shockley.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?