Monday, June 17, 2013

Mississippi: Origins (Anna Journey)

I love the title of this poem by Anna Journey. I already get a sense of the whole thing from those two words. I know, I know, I'm stereotyping Mississippi when I do so (but so is she), but you just know some stories of country/Southern life are about to be relayed.

Some Mississippi grandparents
She uses such wonderful stories/examples. I'm pulled into the story of this family and the place they are from.

And I love that last, italicized line - you can hear the voice of the grandfather, the pride and protectionism, the humor, usefulness and kindness that seems to characterize the family.

Favorite line: "She'd believed it / a gesture of intimacy."
She’d believed it

a gesture of intimacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?