Monday, October 12, 2009

Helen (H.D.)

Well, that's the shortest title I have probably ever written. And ouch, this poem is harsh. I found it listed under the category "Enemies", and I don't know if I would have expanded my reading of this poem that far if it had not been categorized like that. But now that I see that connection, I feel for H.D. and the situation she was in that made her recognize the strengths and the beauties of her enemy and yet feel no compassion, make no space or leeway for understanding and instead wished her dead. Ouch!

I don't have much more to say about this poem. It's good. I can tell that, but I don't really care about it. Perhaps because I have no enemy I wish to death. Or maybe because the story of the Trojan War never sparked my imagination. Ah well. Not all poems have to impress me. Do you like it?

Favorite line: "All Greece hates/the still eyes in the white face"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of today's poem?